Friday, February 8, 2013

2

Review of Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Posted in ,
Synopsis:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. (Taken from Goodreads)

Stars Given: 

Overall View:

Wow!  This book was a surprise.  I have read many books based on popular fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the beast, but all of them weren't as engaging as this book.  Meyer uses the key points in the fairy tale,Cinderella, and transforms it into an adventurous series. I left this book in my to read list on goodreads for a really long time.  When I finally got the time to get the book, the first page locked me into the world of Cinder and Kai.  The author was able to convey the various emotions that  the protagonist goes through and directly affect the reader.  I was deeply affected when Cinder loses many of her support and is left all alone.  It was the most heart wrenching part.  The book showed the discrimination against human beings who were different.  It allowed me to see the view of someone who was looked down upon.  The book not only served as a fantastic read to escape from reality, it also shows some of the issues we face today.

Characters:

Cinder - 
Description of Character: An android who was once human. She now has a robotic arm and leg.  She wishes she could be human again.  There are times when Cinder finds herself in difficult situations, but because of her strong heart and belief that one day she will find her own happiness  which is freedom.


Review of Character: I really loved Cinder's character.  She is a girl who can do everything by herself.  She isn't a damsel in distress.  She faces her problems every single day and continues to give all her earnings to her evil stepmother.  I don't think I would be able to that.  To give everything that was obtained through hard work to someone who doesn't even appreciate you doing it would pull my heart into a heated lava.  I found that Cinder had quite a big heart and was able to forgive all the harsh punishments.

Kai -

Description of Character: Every fairy tale needs a prince.  Kai is the prince of every girl's dreams.  He meets Cinder when he needed his royal android fixed.  He is kind and doesn't look down on the poor citizens.  His father dies and he is then crowned emperor.

Review of Character: I felt as if Kai didn't show up enough... Strangely, he didn't leave too much of an impression on me.  I hope there is more of Kai in Scarlet!


*Supporting characters not listed


2 comments:

  1. I just did a review of Cinder too. I thought it was awesome I can't wait to read Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished Scarlet too! It was really good! I'm going to post the review soon.

      Delete