Saturday, February 16, 2013

0

Author Interview: Jenelle Leanne Schmidt

Posted in ,
About the Author:
I grew up the oldest of four children. Every night before bedtime my father read to my siblings and me, and it was during these times that my love for adventure and fantasy were forged. While I adore the stories of the Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Prydain, the Wheel of Time, and the Chronicles of Narnia; it wasn’t long before my imagination led me to the creation of a world and story all my own.

Interview:
What made you want to become a writer?
I have always had a vivid imagination. I’ve been creating stories and writing them down for as long as I can remember. Becoming a writer isn’t something I every set out to do, it is simply who I am.

Where do you get your inspirations from?
I get inspiration everywhere. Stories I read, music I listen to, conversations with my friends and family, questions I have about life, the universe, and everything. Some ideas just spring to life fully formed, others need research, but inspiration is everywhere, if you know what to look for.

Other than writing books, what else do you do in your free time?
I have two young daughters and a house to take care of, which takes up most of my time. I am also an avid reader, mostly of sci-fi/fantasy and YA, though I’ll branch out occasionally. I love being outside, hiking, playing frisbee and soccer, going on bike rides, and horseback riding.

If you could work with another author, who would it be?
Timothy Zahn. I love how he has managed to write sci-fi and fantasy without getting stuck in a single world or series. I admire his ability to create multiple book worlds and each one is new and different.

What are major themes of your work?
Good versus Evil, Loyalty and Betrayal, Revenge and Forgiveness, Courage versus Fear, Heroism, Nobility, and Self-Sacrifice.

What do you think people look for in a book?
I think people look for a good story, first and foremost. They want something that is well-told and interesting. They also look for engaging characters, someone they want to see succeed, someone to root for.

Are there any recent works that you admire?
I really admire how Terry Brooks has reenergized his Shannara series with a prequel series that gives it an interesting new twist.
I also recently finished reading Into the Vast, by D.J. Edwardson, a new independent author, that I really enjoyed.


*The questions and answers of this author interview are only for Ethereal Book Reviews to use.  If you would like to get interviewed, please visit our "Contact Us" page and send us an e-mail.

0 comments: