Friday, January 11, 2013

3

Author Interview: Brooke Passmore

Posted in ,




About the Author:

I love to smile and I rarely am in a bad mood, unless my dvr didn't record Vampire Diaries. I am someone who tries to see the beauty in all things. If you really knew me you'd know that I've been obsessed with writing stories ever since I could hold a pencil. Give me a story with a captivating romance whether it be a comedy, thriller, action, or drama and I most likely will have seen/read it already.  Writing is my life and passion and I can't see myself breathing in anything else that fabulous.  (Taken from BrookePassmore.blogspot.ca)


Interview:

What made you want to become a writer?
When I was a kid I was always coming up with stories while playing with my Polly Pockets or whenever my friends would come over we'd pretend to be princesses and mermaids in my pool. I started writing stories at a very young age. But as I got older and was trying to see what I wanted to do for a career nothing really struck me as big as being a writer. There’s something about writing that makes me so happy I can’t explain the feeling. I feel important writing all my stories down. I became a writer not only because it’s fun but because I truly feel like I was born to do it.

Where do you get your inspirations from?
I am a huge daydreamer so when I'm bored, I'll plot out different stories in my head about what wonderful trouble a boy and a girl could get into.  I have woods behind my house and walking through the trees clears my head and also gives me inspiration.  Having woods behind my house gave me inspiration to write The Scarlet Woods Trilogy is done and I like to walk in the woods for inspiration even though the books I plan on writing don't involve woods.

Other than writing books, what else do you do in your free time?
I write a lot so that takes up most of my free time, but when I’m not doing that I am actually kind of boring. I like to watch TV (Vampire Diaries, Glee, The Bachelor, Dancing with the Stars, Once Upon a Time). I love to read too but haven’t really read as much lately as I would wish. What I mainly do is hang out with my family and friends and play soccer on Sundays.

If you could work with another author, who would it be?

I am somewhat helping my dad write a short story right now. He has always talked about writing something with me since it could be something we could do together and now we are starting to do it. I would also love to with J.K. Rowling if I ever had the chance! She’s an inspiration and it’d be interesting to see how her mind works when she’s in her world of writing. She’s so imaginative and I can’t believe the masterpiece that she had concocted with the Harry Potter series.

What are major themes of your work?

Time travel, romance, history, fantasy, the Civil War, slavery. There’s a lot going on in my book and I hope people love all the themes to it.

What do you think people look for in a book?
I think people want an escape from their lives. Whether it be a drama, comedy, romance, or action/adventure a good book can have them jump into  a world that’s not their own and have them wanting to be a part of it. Readers also want connections with the characters. If you don’t care for the characters then you don’t care for the plot of the story.

Are there any recent works you admire?

I thought Across the Universe by Beth Revis was a great and creative book. The writing was very smart and the whole thing made me itching to see what happened next. I couldn't take a break reading it for very long time and would dig into it some more to see what came after the next page. I admire this book because it was very different and it wasn't predictable like most YA books nowadays.

Questions About the Book (Scarlet Woods):
Which character in the book do you think you can relate to the most?
I think I can relate to Morgan most of all. In some ways she is somewhat like me but in some ways she’s not. There are funny things that I could see myself doing or saying that I had put in her dialogue or actions, but for the most part she is far more outspoken than I am. I can be cooky and weird and all but I don’t really stand up for myself and can be a pushover. Morgan is stronger than I am and is not afraid to have people not like her whereas I always want people’s approval of me and want them to always like me. Morgan also has long, dark, auburn hair that I totally envy (my hair is blond). But for more things that we are alike in, Morgan loves to read and walk in the woods behind her house which I very much enjoy doing both of those too since I read/write and have woods behind my backyard. And then there is Danny I can relate to as well. He is very devoted to his family and would do whatever he can to help protect them. I love my family more than anything and would kill for them if I had to.

How did you come up with the character's names?

I really don’t know. I’ll hear peoples’ names throughout my life and if I like a name enough it’ll stick with me. I have several names I have in mind for future characters in books after The Scarlet Woods series. I sometimes do need help with last names. Sometimes for inspiration I’ll get on facebook and browse through my friends and look at last names. I think that’s how I got Morgan’s last name Westbrook for Scarlet Woods haha.

What inspired you to write a book about time travelling?
When I thought of time travel growing up I tended to think about the Back to the Future movies. I also had read this short book series about time travel but it was a more simple idea that involved a murder and the main character only traveled back in time a total of three times out of the whole series. It was good but the characters fell in desperate love in like a day. I wanted a much more believable romance, but I did love the idea of time travel somewhat separating the two characters in love. I thought if I could write a time travel story that involves a romance where they could travel back and forth whenever they wanted to it’d be really enticing to write about. My book is veeerrrry different than the one I had read when I was eleven. There’s so much going on in Scarlet Woods that is mixed with romance that there is almost no comparison with the book I had read when I was a kid.

What gave you inspiration to write this book?
I came up with the idea for the book partly because I have woods behind my backyard. I would walk about the woods and come up with many stories that I wished would happen in the trees. My main character, Morgan, has woods behind her house just like me so that made everything more fun to write about when she’d time travel in the woods to go back in time.

Do you believe in time travelling?
There are two parts of me that believes in two different theories. The more logical side to me thinks there will never be a way to time travel. It’d be too complicated and complex to ever discover a way to do it. Then the other part of me, the positive daydreamer side of me, thinks there’s a way to time travel but no one has discovered it yet, or someone’s discovered how to do it but hasn't brought its discovery to the rest of the world yet which I can totally see happening. Morgan didn't tell anyone about time travel since it was just her and Danny’s secret, plus they thought people would think she was insane if she told everyone she could time travel.

Go to her giveaway!

*The questions and answers of this author interview are only for Ethereal Book Reviews to use.  If you would like to get interviewed, please visit our "Contact Us" page and send us an e-mail.

3 comments:

  1. I believe in the possiblity of time travel. It is my hope that all those poeple that disapeer every year really just went to a new time to start over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The posabilities are limitless! That could be true about the missing people. Nice prospective. If you want to read her book, you can win an ebook copy here:
      http://etherealbookreviews.blogspot.ca/2013/01/giveaway-ebook-of-scarlet-woods-by.html

      :)

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for a liebster award. Check it out at http://www.ifeelsounnecessary.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete