Tuesday, March 12, 2013

0

Author Interview: Jennifer Leigh Wells

Posted in , ,



About the Author:

Jennifer Leigh Wells is a freelance journalist and short story author.  Her work has appeared in such publications as Examiner.com and The Storyteller.  "Knight of the Purple Ribbon" is her first novel, and is based on the memoir of her ancestor Baron Christoph de Graffenried.

Interview:
What made you want to become a writer?
I have always loved books and any kind of stories, whether they were in print, on film or another medium.  I was drawn to writing because I wanted to use my imagination and create something that would be an entertaining escape for both myself and others.

Where do you get your inspirations from?
History is a big source of inspiration for me but like most writers, I can be inspired by just about anything.  Occasionally, I'll be inspired by people I've known or my own personal experiences.  Some of the things that stir my imagination most are books, film and music.

Other than writing books, what else do you do in your free time?
I like to sketch portraits, read, listen to music and watch movies.

If you could work with another author, who would it be?
One of my idols is Philippa Gregory.  Her books are brilliant.  She entertains readers and at the same time, teaches them so much about history, but in a full, non-acedemic way.

What are major themes of your work?
Specifically, in "Knight of the Purple Ribbon", I wanted to highlight Christoph's optimism and determination to succeed, despite the obstacles in his path.  I also wanted to show the importance of people working together for a common goal.  Another point I wanted to express through this book is that it's never too late to make a fresh start and to go after your dreams, even when it means taking risks and going completely out of your comfort zone.

What do you think people look for in a book?
I think most people want to be entertained, above all else, and get caught up into another world.  Beyond that, I think they look for books that will move them emotionally and teach them something.

Are there any recent works that you admire?
The most recent work that I admore are "Burning Bright" by Tracy Chevalier, " The Kingmaker's Daughter" by Philippa Gregory and a nonfiction book "Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle" by The Countess of Carnarvon.

*The questions and answers of this author interview are only for Ethereal Book Reviews to use.  If you would like to get interviewed, please visit our "Contact Us" page and send us an e-mail.

0 comments: